Neurosurgery and Pain Management
Dr. Luis Duarte received his medical degree from Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and completed his internship and residency at the MCPHU/Hahnemann University Hospital Program.
He is board certified in Neurological Surgery. Dr. Duarte's areas of expertise include general neurosurgery, back and neck pain, spasticity, minimally invasive spine surgery, carpal tunnel surgery, and deep brain stimulation for Parkinson's and Tremor disorders.
Dr. Duarte's office is seeing patients monthly at Val Verde Regional Medical Center, 801 N. Bedell Ave.
The Brain & Spine Institute offers a full range of neurosurgical and neurological services. Our neurosurgeons treat conditions of the brain, spine and nerves.
Examples of surgeries performed include:
- Computer navigation-assisted surgery for brain tumors.
- Spinal surgery, including both microsurgery and open minimally-invasive surgery.
- Minimally-invasive endoscopic carpal tunnel surgery, ulnar release.
- Surgery for trigeminal neuralgia, hemi facial spasm.
- Cervical and thoraco-lumbar surgery.
We also provide a wide variety of implants for chronic pain and mobility problems, including:
- Minimally invasive spinal fusion.
- Dorsal column stimulation for chronic pain.
- Vagus nerve stimulation for seizures.
- Deep brain implants for essential tremors and Parkinson's disease.
- Ventricular-Peritoneal shunt insertion for hydrocephalus.
- Morphine and Baclofen pump implants.
Our neurological services include:
- Electromyography/nerve conduction studies testing.
- Botox injections for headaches, spasticity and torticollis.
- Adjustments for VNS and DBS stimulators.
- Electroencephalogram (EEG) testing.
- Occipital nerve blocks.
Pain injections including nerve blocks, epidural steroid injections, facet blocks and Sacro iliac joint blocks are performed in the office, sparing patients a separate visit to the hospital.