The Rehabilitation Department at Val Verde Regional Medical Center (VVRMC) consists of highly trained physical, occupational and speech therapists working together to help return people to optimum functioning in all areas of daily life.
The occupational therapy staff at VVRMC is licensed by the state of Texas. We are dedicated to providing high-quality services throughout our community and the surrounding areas by offering skilled, professional intervention to those people whose quality of life has been compromised by congenital or acquired mental, emotional, visual, perceptual or physical illness or injury. We work with patients of all ages as well as a patient's family or professional caregivers involved in their care and well-being.
The diagnostic areas we serve include, but are not limited to:
- Internal medicine.
We treat conditions and disorders that affect the function of the central and autonomic nervous systems, as well as the cardiovascular, lymphatic, musculoskeletal, integument, endocrine and sensory systems, which in turn affect a person's ability to interact and perform daily activities.
We provide skilled services (training, retraining and education), including:
- Upper extremity, head, neck, trunk, joint and soft tissue mobilization.
- Functional balance, mobility and endurance training.
- Gross and fine motor coordination.
- Edema and pain management.
- Activities of daily living, self-care training, adaptive equipment and compensatory strategy training.
- Cognitive and perceptual training.
- Stress management and coping skills education.
- Functional positioning and splinting.
- Work readiness, community reintegration and vocational training.
Our occupational therapists evaluate learning and performance skills. We analyze, select and adapt activities for people whose ability to cope with their normal daily living or work tasks is impaired by developmental deficiencies, the aging process, illness or injury.
We will coordinate skilled treatment plans and goals with the patient, physicians, families, caregivers and other professionals to obtain maximum benefit from therapy services provided. We use a wide variety of exercises, treatments and purposeful activities to achieve desired goals and enable our clients to assume or resume the highest quality of functional living as possible.