VVRMC's Level IV trauma Emergency Department (ED) is available 24/7. The ED has 12 beds and is staffed by highly qualified nurses and a contract physician group.
THE ED contract physician group is Victoria Emergency Associates. VEA's mission statement resonates with VVRMC:“To serve communities throughout Texas by providing expert emergency care with kindness and compassion.”
In order to serve patients more quickly, the ED also has a four-bed Express Care which is staffed by a mid-level provider and licensed staff. The ED Nursing Director coordinates care on a daily basis in order for nursing staff to provide efficient, safe, quality care for our patients in our community and surrounding areas.
The ED also has a Trauma Coordinator who collects data and reports to the state registry on a monthly basis. The Trauma Coordinator provides educational training for all ED staff to ensure they are up to date with the latest in emergency care.
The Crisis Care Team/SANE
The Crisis Care Team at Val Verde Regional Medical Center is a team within the VVRMC Emergency Department comprised of specially- trained Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners (SANEs), in conjunction with medical oversight by the hospital's Medical Director of Emergency Services.
The nurses are registered nurses licensed by the Texas Board of Nursing. They are state certified in the SANE currency of practice by the Texas Office of the Attorney General to provide comprehensive and evidence- based care to patients of all ages who are survivors of sexual assault and sexual abuse.
What is a SANE?
A Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) is a registered nurse who has been specifically trained to:
- Provide comprehensive care to sexual assault survivors;
- Demonstrate currency of practice in the care and treatment of patients who present with a complaint of sexual assault or abuse;
- Have the ability to provide effective courtroom testimony; and
- Show compassion and sensitivity to survivors of sexual assault.
Medical forensic examination:
- History for diagnosis and treatment.
- Detailed head-to-toe assessment.
- Detailed examination.
- Evidence collection if indicated.
Services also include:
- Medical forensic photography of physical injuries with patient consent.
- Treatment for prevention of common sexually transmitted infections
- Referral to counseling and follow-up medical care.
- Referral to advocates for community assistance and emotional support.
- Court testimony in legal proceedings.
The Crime that does not Discriminate
Sexual assault and sexual abuse are traumatic crimes that effect patients of all ages, genders, cultures, races and social backgrounds.
The Crisis Care Team is dedicated to serving victims of sexual assault and sexual abuse in our community and ensuring that compassionate and trauma-informed care is administered to men, women and children suffering from sexual violence.