Education: High School Diploma or equivalent
Licensure/Certifications:BLS, Surgical Scrub Technician certification
Experience: One year scrub experience. School clinical training will be counted as experience
The role of the surgical scrub technician in the surgical unit is to provide care under the supervision of a RN/Circulating nurse delivering safe and effective care to the patient during the intra-operative period. The tech effectively interacts with patients and health team members, while maintaining the surgical department policies and standards of care.
- Assists RN in planning patient care
- Collaborates with other health team members
- Participates in performance improvement activities.
- Conscientiously and continuously applies the principles and tools learned during training on a daily basis.
- Maintains asepsis
- Performs scrubbing duties
- Performs preceptor duties
- Under direct supervision of circulating nurse assists with care of patients / delivers patient care
- Communicates with peers, other health team members, patients, and visitors
- Maintains adaptability
- Supports unit team
- Consistently meets the hospital’s published Customer Service Quality Standards
- Performs clinical preceptor role for specialty service and follows core competency. Collaborates with appropriate team members regarding precepting of student or orientee and documents progress or concerns.
- Maintains cleanliness of the unit and equipment as needed.
- Communicates patient information to team members.
- Perform other duties as assigned or required.