Provision of clinical leadership to a team of RNs and hospice aide(s), delivering personal, emotional and basic nursing care to terminally ill patients in their own homes and thus enabling them to remain at home. Ensures appropriate and comprehensive assessments are completed and individualized patient care plans developed, revised, as needed. Ensures all of the patient’s nursing care deficits are addressed by hospice nurse with thorough documentation. Takes call on a rotating basis to ensure appropriate 24/7 coverage. Responsibility for the support and supervision of the team. Identification of individual training needs and the delivery and/or organization of training as required. Monitoring and improving the quality of service maintaining all audits in a timely manner per QEC reporting timelines. Adheres to all state, federal, and other regulatory guidelines as applicable. Assists in the development and implementation of hospice policies and procedures. Maintenance of data supporting all aspects of service delivery to ensure provision of hospice services promotes the Mission and Vision Statement of Hospice of Val Verde Regional Medical Center.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent and/or a graduate of an accredited school of nursing, registered nurse required, with a current license in the State of Texas. Master’s Degree in nursing preferred. Certified Hospice and Palliative Nurse (CHPN) certification preferred. At least 2 to 4 years of administrative and supervisory experience in hospice or case management. Broad knowledge of and experience with hospice services. Knowledge of the regulatory requirements at the state, federal and local levels. Management experience required.
ESSENTIAL AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Participates in the organizations strategic planning and development activities.
- Assists in planning and development of Hospice Program operational structure, clinical, administrative and sales policies and procedures.
- Plans, organizes, leads and supervises the ongoing functions of the hospice service.
- Assures high quality hospice care and leadership through hiring appropriate qualified hospice staff, including interviewing, hiring, scheduling, development, evaluating and terminating personnel.
- The Hospice Manager ensures:
- Qualified personnel are employed by working closely with VVRMC Human Resource Department utilizing the methods for recruiting, locating and attracting them:
- Advertisements in newspapers and magazines
- On-line job search engines Staffing agencies
- Word of mouth through current staff
- Staff receive adequate education, training and evaluations
- The accuracy of public information materials
- Ensures development of relationships and contractual agreements with various vendors, agencies and business community as needed.
- Supervises and coordinates the overall development and administration of the hospice program consistent with the mission with the hospice staff as well as is set forth in the Conditions of Participation under the direction of the Hospice Director.
- Be familiar with state, federal, local and accrediting body regulations and arranging for compliance with the same. Being responsible for familiarizing employees with such and having copies of the regulations available for their use.
- Assures compliance with state, federal, local and accrediting body regulations and Hospice standards and provides information to hospice director regarding the goals and needs of the community as it relates to regulatory compliance.
- Implements the hospice care program's quality assurance program per state and federal requirements.
- Responsible for implementing, supervising, evaluating, reviewing and updating the administrative policies, in a timely basis. Collaborates with Director in the revision of same when appropriate.
- Supervises daily operations of hospice services, collecting data for annual program evaluation and makes recommendations for improvements.
- Ensures all quality improvement metrics are tracked in a timely fashion and immediately addressed as deficiencies are noted.
- Assure patient’s needs are being met and continuity (plan) of care is maintained.
- Takes call, on a rotating basis, with other Hospice RNs to ensure appropriate 24/7 coverage to address the needs of all patients receiving hospice services.
- Supports the development and preparation of the annual operational budget for hospice and manages financial resources according to budget and revenue projections.
- Supports the implementation and maintenance of an effective budget and accounting system and assists with and works to have accuracy in billing.
- Assesses, formulates and evaluates the salary structures and per visit rates for staff in accordance with the market, community and organizations and periodically adjusts as needed.
- Evaluates and authorizes purchase of supplies and equipment.
- Appoints a qualified Manager of Hospice Services, as needed.
- Coordinates and maintains an ongoing liaison with the IDT committee and Hospice staff, along with Hospice Director.
- Works with the Hospice RN Case Managers regarding admissions to hospice program through appropriate assessment.
- Identifies actual or potential personnel or system problems in the hospice program.
- Develops cost effective services and performance improvement plans for the organization.
- Supervises and evaluates satisfaction survey reports on all clients/families served. Reporting areas of concern to Director.
- Develops/conducts in-services and orientation programs for personnel, as needed.
- Identifies, evaluates and participates in community programs, agencies and committees as needed to promote and market hospice services and program.
- Organizes and supervises all services of the hospice program or delegates the following as needed:
- Provides assistance to patients’ families.
- Coordinates efforts with care givers and staff.
- Oversees patient’s hospice benefits.
- Documents assessments and communications.
- Plans & participates in team meetings.
- Develops care plans and strategies as appropriate.
- Provides education and counseling to clients/families/staff regarding community services for discharge planning, disease progression, self-care techniques and rehabilitation nursing procedures.
- Demonstrates and maintains a positive, professional manner, manages time efficiently and effectively, provides leadership role model to promote a team approach collaborates and participates in policy creation and appropriate problem solving methods.
- With respect to patient rights, ensures all care is provided with respect and dignity to patients and their families, reports all complaints made by patients and or families to the appropriate supervisors, reports all allegations of abuse, misappropriation of patient property and any other compliance issues immediately.
- Works with Hospice RN Case Manager/Manager to develop and implement a Hospice Orientation Program for all new staff.
- Ensures the growth and profitability through responsible use of company resources and assists to educate the community to our services.
- Monitors local and national industry trends to effectively represent and differentiate our services in the market area.
- Adheres to all policies, procedures, terms and conditions set forth in the Employee Manual as well as any facility handbook including but not limited to corporate compliance, drug free workplace, safe work practices, and all federal, state, local regulations and laws.
- Is responsible to perform other duties as assigned.