Category:Food and Nutrition
Minimum Entry Level Qualifications
Experience and/or level of competency:
- Minimum two years of culinary/quantity food service management training or commensurate experience; minimum two years of culinary preparation experience.
- Must have or be able to obtain a State of Texas approved Food Manager Certification Certificate.
- Experience working in a computer network environment utilizing Microsoft Word and Excel programs
- Academic Preparation: High School Education or GED, Culinary Associate’s Degree preferred.
The Sous Chef is responsible for planning and directing food preparation in a kitchen. As assistant to the Executive Chef, the Sous Chef will help with inventory, and managing of supplies. Also aid in making sure the kitchen is up to safety standards and that staff are obeying sanitation rules. During mealtimes, it is important that the Sous Chef be quick on his/her feet and be able to make smart decisions instantly.
- Prepares food to specifications before and during operations.
- Properly measures and portions all food items. Complies with all portion sizes, quality standards, department rules, policies and procedures.
- Cooks all food to proper specifications in a timely manner.
- Utilizes kitchen equipment to prepare food items such as: knives, slicers, whips, pots, pans, warmers, steamers, grills, ovens, etc.
- Ensures proper food temperatures are maintained and food is stored correctly.
- Ensures freshness and quality of all menu items.
- Packages all products to proper specifications.
- Performs opening, closing and side work duties as instructed and according proper guidelines.
- Keeps workstation and equipment clean, organized, sanitized, and sufficiently stocked.
- Follows and upholds all health codes and sanitation regulations.
- Sets up and operates kitchen equipment.
- Uses waste control guidelines.
- Ability to work varied hours/days, including nights, weekends, and holidays, as needed.
- Conduct a thorough inventory twice weekly of food, supplies, and chemicals in preparation for food order.
- Responsible for storing of food, chemical, and supplies from vendors.
- Performs other duties as assigned.