Category:Food and Nutrition
Food & Nutritional Services
Days and rotate weekends
Minimum Qualifications to Apply: High School Diploma or GED. Must have at least 1 year of proven experience as a cook, preferably in a healthcare setting.
General Description of Position: Under the direction of a Supervisor and/or Manager, prepares and cooks a variety of foods for use throughout the facility in such a manner as to ensure an efficient and profitable food service.
- Maintains friendly, efficient, positive customer service attitude toward customers, clients and co-workers. Is responsive to customer needs.
- Monitors application and enhancement of food production programs following established policies and procedures for processing all department food needs to maintain budgeted, forecasted cost per meal.
- Measures and mixes ingredients according to recipe, using a variety of kitchen utensils and equipment, such as blenders, mixers, grinders, slicers, and tenderizers, to prepare soups, salads, gravies, desserts, sauces, and casseroles. Bakes, roasts, broils, and steams meats, fish, vegetables, and other foods. Adds seasonings to food during mixing or cooking according to the recipe.
- Observes and tests food being cooked by tasting, smelling, and piercing with thermometer to determine that it is cooked according to standards.
- Carves meat, portions food in serving vessels, adds gravies, sauces, and garnishes serving to complete.
- Studies and follows work schedule. Follows department policies, specifications, and job descriptions.
- Adjusts thermostat controls to regulate temperature of ovens, broilers, grills, roasters, and steam kettles.
- Maintains time, temperature, and production needs.
- May wash, peel, cut, and shred vegetables and fruits, butcher chickens, fish, and shellfish, bake bread, rolls, cakes, and pastry.
- Ensures proper storage and rotation of inventories in refrigerators and freezers.
- Analyzes and resolves work problems. Evaluates and recommends measures to improve operations.
- Receives and examines foodstuffs and supplies to ensure quality and quantity meet established standards and specifications.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned.