Director of EMS
Category:Emergency Medical Services "EMS"
Del Rio, TX is known as the "Oasis of Texas" with over 145 miles of pristine lakefront on beautiful Lake Amistad. Del Rio boasts a low cost of living (18% lower than the US average), excellent public and private school options and a less than 6% unemployment rate. In addition to our low crime rate, Southern Living Magazine named Del Rio "The Friendliest Little Border Town in Texas". With these attributes, it is no wonder our local economy is thriving.
Val Verde Regional Medical Center is a 93 bed facility and conveniently located in the heart of Del Rio. We are looking for individuals to join our dynamic team. For qualifying positions, we offer competitive sign on bonuses, relocation packages, and generous compensation/benefits packages.
Directs the Emergency Medical Services and staff in support of emergency patient care for Val Verde County. Responsible for all medical licensure, clinical operations, evaluating and recommending capital purchases, billing of EMS contractors as well as oversight of staff, education and training. Maintains performance improvement activities for EMS and actively participates in all service and quality initiatives. Develops and controls to the annual budget. Working with Dir/HR develops a strategic EMS plan, organizes the department to meet the milestones and goals and is responsible for achieving the department outcomes. Also assesses and manages medical, trauma and environmental emergencies under the supervision of on or off line medical control. Safely transports sick/injured persons to medical facilities.
- Overall leadership, direction, well being and control of VVMRC Emergency Medical Services.
- Directs EMS patient care to ensure patients’ needs are met and the facility’s policies and procedures are followed.
- Development, implementation and evaluation of field clinical training for dispatchers, EMTs and paramedics.
- Management activities of interviewing, hiring, training, scheduling, assessment, and termination of staff with respect to clinical, functional, and behavioral competency.
- Provides education and guidance to staff on performance improvement. Able to plan, organize and participate in orientation and in-service training for staff.
- Maintains an active and good working relationship with area emergency response departments, fire and law enforcement, military and other ancillary services.
- Ensures the Emergency Medical Services are in compliance with local, state, federal codes and regulations and applicable regulatory agencies.
- Knowledgeable of FCC regulations governing radio communications.
- Ensures staff meets requirements of the State Board of EMS; and maintains appropriate records.
- Assists in the development and implementation of EMS treatment protocols and actively works with Emergency Department to facilitate a mutually cooperative service.
- In coordination with the EMS Medical Director develops implements and revises EMS protocols and procedures.
- Ensures staff compliance and competency with emergency medical transport regulations, protocol and policy and procedures and with environmental safety and infection control standards.
- Maintains all emergency equipment, supplies, day room, and facility location in an orderly, clean, and functional manner.
- Responsible for educating EMS staff on proper methods of documentation to maximize reimbursement and for establishing effective and comprehensive billing and collections procedures with either a 3rd party vendor or within the hospital.
- Shall meet quarterly with billing/collection vendor (s) to review and manage effectiveness of their service and to make adjustments as necessary.
- Communicates appropriately and clearly to HR Director, CEO, medical director, physicians, nursing and staff keeping them appropriately informed of essential information.
- Stays informed of trends, advancements in pre-hospital medicine through continuing education, seminars, conferences, professional societies and journals and keeps Crew Chiefs properly informed.
- Knowledgeable of the geographical area covered by the Emergency Medical Services.
- Performs other related and similar duties as requested.