Lemon brown rice pilafView step-by-step instructions
Makes 6 servings.
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
6 lemon slices, 1/4-inch thick
1 cup brown basmati rice
1/2 medium onion, cut into thin crescents
2½ cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line small baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In large saucepan, preferably wider than deep, place 1 teaspoon of oil. Add lemon slices, and coat with oil.
- Arrange coated lemon slices on prepared baking sheet. Set pot aside.
- Roast lemons for 20 minutes, or until rind is golden brown in places. Thin sections of slices may blacken.
- Coarsely chop 2 lemon slices, then set all roasted lemon aside.
- Set saucepan over medium-high heat, and add remaining oil.
- Add rice, stirring to coat grains well.
- Spread rice to cover bottom of pot, and cook until rice is fragrant and lightly browned in places, then starts to crackle, 5 minutes, stirring rice frequently.
- Add onions and cook, stirring constantly, until translucent, 3 minutes.
- Pour in broth, add chopped lemon and bring liquid just to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover tightly and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Check to see if liquid is needed, adding 1/2 cup water.
- Continue cooking, covered, until liquid is absorbed and rice is fluffy but still slightly al dente. Set aside, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Fluff pilaf with a fork.
- To serve, spoon rice onto platter or into wide serving bowl and top with remaining lemon slices.
Serving size: 1/6 recipe. Amount per serving: 150 calories, 3g total fat, (0.5g saturated fat), 27g carbohydrates, 3g protein, 2g dietary fiber, 190mg sodium.