Summer tomato and corn salad with basilView step-by-step instructions
Makes 4 servings.
1 large ear local yellow or yellow-and-white corn
3 ripe medium tomatoes
1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions, green and white parts
1/3 cup finely chopped sweet onion
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
Freshly ground pepper
4 to 5 large basil leaves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint, optional
- Shuck corn and steam for 3 minutes.
- When corn is cool enough to handle, cut the kernels off ear and place them in a mixing bowl.
- Halve tomatoes vertically, and cut one half into 4 wedges for garnish.
- Remove seeds from remaining tomatoes.
- Chop tomatoes and add to corn.
- Add red pepper, green onions and sweet onion.
- In a small bowl, whisk lime juice with salt, mustard powder, and 4 or 5 grinds of pepper until salt dissolves.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss gently with fork to combine. At this point, salad can sit for up to 15 minutes.
- Just before serving, stack basil leaves, then cut crosswise into thin strips and add to the salad. Add mint, if using.
- Toss to combine herbs with salad. Garnish with tomato wedges. Serve immediately.
Serving size: 1 cup. Amount per serving: 45 calories, less than 1g total fat (0g saturated fat), 10g carbohydrates, 2g protein, 2g dietary fiber, 242mg sodium.