Tilapia with curry and orange riceView step-by-step instructions
Makes 4 servings.
3/4 cup long-grain brown rice
3/4 cup orange juice
1 cup water
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 cup sliced almonds, preferably toasted
2 to 4 teaspoons mild curry powder
4 teaspoons canola oil
4 (4-ounce) tilapia fillets
1 navel orange
1/2 cup chopped scallions, green and white parts
Freshly ground black pepper
- Place rice and orange juice in medium saucepan. Add water and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, cover tightly, reduce heat to simmer until rice is tender, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Off the heat, let rice sit, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff with fork, and set aside.
- While rice cooks, preheat oven to 400 degrees. If almonds are not toasted, spread on baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes, or until golden, watching carefully as they will burn easily. Immediately transfer nuts to a plate and cool to room temperature. If nuts are already toasted, skip this step.
- In small bowl, mix together curry powder, oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt to make a paste. With brush, spread 1/4 of paste over each fillet, coating lightly, and arrange seasoned fillets on baking sheet in 1 layer.
- To peel orange, use paring knife to remove a thin slice from top and bottom. Standing fruit on a work surface, work knife blade along the curve of the fruit, removing peel and pith in strips. Cut orange horizontally into 8 slices. Arrange 2 slices on top of each fillet.
- Bake fish for 7 to 10 minutes, or until it is white and flakes easily at the thickest part.
- To serve, place 1 fish fillet on each of 4 dinner plates. Mix almonds and scallions into orange rice, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon 1/4 of rice onto each plate. If desired, add steamed broccoli raab or spinach, drizzled with a bit of extra-virgin olive oil. Serve immediately.
Cook fish to 145 degrees to help prevent foodborne illness.
Serving size: 1/4 recipe. Amount per serving: 375 calories, 12g total fat (less than 1g saturated fat), 39g carbohydrates, 29g protein, 3g dietary fiber, 514mg sodium.