Health libraryBack to health library
Apple coffee cake
Makes 20 servings.
5 cups tart apples, cored, peeled, chopped
1 cup sugar
1 cup dark raisins
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 egg, beaten
2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly oil a 13-by-9-by-2-inch pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine apples with sugar, raisins and pecans; mix well.
- Let stand 30 minutes.
- Stir in oil, vanilla and egg.
- Sift together flour, soda and cinnamon. Stir into apple mixture about 1/3 at a time—just enough to moisten dry ingredients.
- Turn batter into pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool cake slightly before serving.
Serving size: 3 1/2-inch-by-2 1/2-inch piece. Amount per serving: 188 calories, 5g total fat (1g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 68mg sodium.