Carrot-raisin breadView step-by-step instructions
Makes 1 loaf.
1 1/2 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cup finely shredded carrots
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup golden raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan.
- In large mixing bowl, stir together dry ingredients. Make a well in center of dry mixture.
- In separate bowl, mix together remaining ingredients. Add this mixture all at once to dry ingredients.
- Stir just enough to moisten and evenly distribute carrots. Turn into prepared pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes in pan. Remove from pan, and complete cooling on a wire rack before slicing.
Serving size: One 1/2-inch slice. Amount per serving: 99 calories, 3g total fat (less than 1g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 97mg sodium.
Source: National Institutes of Health