February is Heart Health Month
Because Val Verde Regional Medical Center is focused on designing healthcare around you; we are offering heart healthy activities to the community all month long. Some of these activities include:
Wear Red Day: Feb. 2
Wear red on Friday, Feb. 2. Join together on the lawn (the one with the oak trees) at 3:30 for judging, prizes and a picture!
Get tips on how you can get involved and prevent heart disease and stroke. Go to GoRedForWomen.org/WearRedDay.
Calcium Score Testing
Calcium Score Testing is available for those aged 35-60 at a reduced rate of $85.
What is Calcium Score Testing?
Calcium score testing is a cardiac computer topography (CT) which uses specialized x-ray equipment to produce pictures of the coronary arteries. These pictures can be used to determine if coronary arteries are blocked with plaque. Blockages can lead to heart attack and/or coronary artery disease (CAD).
Plaque is a mixture of fat and calcium which begins as a soft substance but over time builds up in arteries and hardens. Being able to determine how much plaque is in the arteries can signal a need for either medication, some lifestyle changes (diet and exercise) or other medical procedures.
Some risk factors for heart issues include: smoking, family history of heat disease, obesity, a sedentary lifestyle and diabetes.
To schedule an appointment, call 830.703.1731.
Exercise is a key element in heart health and we have something for everyone every Saturday in February.
All events take place from 10:30 to 11 a.m. on the lawn with the oak trees or inside the old main entrance.
- Feb. 3: Try a taste of yoga. Bring your mat or towel and stretch your body.
- Feb. 10: Tai Chi gently moves your body in ways to help you feel peaceful and strong.
- Feb. 17: Zumba is all about the music. Move your body to the rhythm of the beat.
- Feb. 24: Sit to Fit is for you if it has been a while since you exercised or you have some prohibitive health issues.
Heart Health Presentations
We are offering free heart health presentations every Wednesday in February from 11 to noon in the Education Conference Room.
- Feb. 7: Stress and Your Heart. Learn how stress can affect your heart and how to manage your stress levels.
- Feb. 14: Exercise and Your Heart. Why not do something good for your heart on Valentine's Day? Learn how exercise affects your heart health.
- Feb. 21: Silent Killers. Learn about serious health issues which can stay hidden for years and how you and your health provider can find them.
- Feb. 28: Nutrition and Your Heart. Find out how important what you eat is to your heart's health.
The Education Conference Room is located inside the entrance to the hospital facing the lawn with the oak trees off Bedell (old main entrance).
Free glucose testing at the VVRMC Rural Health Clinic, 1801 Bedell, on Feb. 13 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Meet and Greet our Cardiology Team
Please join us on Thursday, Feb. 15, to meet and greet our Cardiac Care Team from 5:30 to 7 p.m. in the VVRMC Main Entrance Lobby at 801 N. Bedell.
Blood Pressure Testing
Get your blood pressure tested in the VVRMC front lobby. Available 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Feb. 19 through 23.